As I mentioned earlier, I had a date and pecan pie in the oven and as promised I give you the recipe.
This one is also from my ‘brand new’ cooking light: the best of cooking light book, which I’m in love with!
Also previously mentioned dates happen to be my all time favourite fruit/ dessert, so when I saw this pie I knew that I had to make it. I was very pleased with the result, it was just right – not too sweet and the crust ( which I somehow always struggle with was very easy to make and it did not involve me ending up crying) !
In the serving suggestions the recipe said serve with whipped cream, but I recommend vanilla ice cream (you don’t need a reason for that)!
So anyway the recipe:
Date and Pecan Pie
(Adapted from cooking light: the best of cooking light)
1) 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
2) 3 tablespoons ice water
3) 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
4) 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
5) 1/4 teaspoon salt
6) 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
7) Cooking spray
1) 1/2 cup whole pitted dates, chopped
2) 1/3 cup chopped pecans (I didn’t have pecan so I used Almond, walnut will go just as well)
3) 1 cup dark corn syrup
4) 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
5) 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
6) 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7) 1/4 teaspoon salt
8) 4 large eggs
1) Preheat oven to 325°.
2) To prepare crust: lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1/4 cup flour, water, and juice, stirring with a whisk until well blended to form a slurry.
3) Combine 3/4 cup flour, powdered sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add slurry; toss with a fork until mixture is moist. Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap that overlap; cover with two additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle; freeze 10 minutes.
4) Remove top 2 sheets of plastic wrap; let dough stand 1 minute or until pliable. Fit dough, plastic-wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Fold edges under; flute.
5) To prepare filling: sprinkle dates and pecans evenly over bottom of crust. Combine corn syrup and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Pour mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 325° for 55 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve with vanilla ice cream! 😀
10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)